Thread: PLAY SACD ON PC???

Posts: 18
Page: 1 2 next

Post by aeryx October 14, 2003 (1 of 18)
Hey guys:
I've just purchased my first SACD: Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary. It's SACD Hybrid, but it seems that i can only play it as a regular CD (not as a multichannel SACD) on my PC-DVD ROM.
Did I fall on a commercial trap? Should I buy a brand new Sony SACD-enabled player?? Or downloading/buying some software or plugin i'll can play it on my PC?
Responses needed!!

Greetings.

Post by zeus October 14, 2003 (2 of 18)
aeryx said:

I've just purchased my first SACD: Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary. It's SACD Hybrid, but it seems that i can only play it as a regular CD (not as a multichannel SACD) on my PC-DVD ROM.

You can only play the high resolution (DSD) layer in a SACD (or SACD/DVD) player. No computer drive (that I'm aware of) can read the high resolution layer, let alone decode it. Presumably, you feed your computer output into some sort of sound system. You may want to upgrade this to support SACD. There's a couple of mini-systems from Onkyo plus Sony make some interesting looking player/receiver all-in-one boxes. I'm thinking of something similar for my home-office setup.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but this is how it goes.

Post by azure October 14, 2003 (3 of 18)
I remember reading that there was to suppose to be a SACD drive for PCs eventually being released, sorry I can not remember where I read it. I.m sure that it will eventuate just a matter of time.

Post by foresscum October 23, 2003 (4 of 18)
zeus said:

You can only play the high resolution (DSD) layer in a SACD (or SACD/DVD) player. No computer drive (that I'm aware of) can read the high resolution layer, let alone decode it. Presumably, you feed your computer output into some sort of sound system. You may want to upgrade this to support SACD. There's a couple of mini-systems from Onkyo plus Sony make some interesting looking player/receiver all-in-one boxes. I'm thinking of something similar for my home-office setup.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but this is how it goes.

I have similar problems playing SACDs in PCs with CD/DVD-ROMs. It should technically be able to read the CD layer but somehow all my drives are unable to read them. I posted a question on Audio Asylum HiRes forum and most people are able to read Hybrid disks on their PCs.

Post by zeus October 23, 2003 (5 of 18)
foresscum said:

I have similar problems playing SACDs in PCs with CD/DVD-ROMs. It should technically be able to read the CD layer but somehow all my drives are unable to read them. I posted a question on Audio Asylum HiRes forum and most people are able to read Hybrid disks on their PCs.

As posted elsewhere, some computer drives (and DVD players) get confused by hybrids and look for a useful signal on the high-density layer instead of just defaulting to the CD-compatible layer. All my drives work fine with hybrids but it sounds like you've been unlucky.

Post by klaus007 January 13, 2004 (6 of 18)
I have the Sting scared love (hybrid sacd 5.1) & the Bon Jovi bounce (single layer sacd 5.1). both can be played on my pc! I have a cd-r and a dvd+/-r of the latest generation! To decode to 5.1 I use power dvd! I have a audigy 1 player sound card!
the sound is great!

Post by zeus January 13, 2004 (7 of 18)
klaus007 said:

I have the Sting scared love (hybrid sacd 5.1) & the Bon Jovi bounce (single layer sacd 5.1). both can be played on my pc! I have a cd-r and a dvd+/-r of the latest generation! To decode to 5.1 I use power dvd! I have a audigy 1 player sound card!

So where is the DSD signal being decoded?

Post by sound_labs January 13, 2004 (8 of 18)
It's been said already, but I'll say it in another way.


First, to anyone wanting to hear SACD through your computer...... Ain't gonna happen. People have already proven that they can't be responsible with three things a PC/Mac, an internet connnection, and MP3.

For those three reasons, don't hold your breath for anything SACD/DSD related to a personal computer.


Anyone that might have purchased an SACD player, or SACD discs and then complains about PC/mac compatibility basically did zero research into the format. Not knocking anyone, just stating a fact. On the hybrid issue, I can understand people being a little upset at not being able to playback the standard CD layer.


Anyone claiming to reproduce true SACD surround on a PC/MAC is simply hearing the regular CD layer being split up by a sound card whether it be internal or external.


No drive in a personal computer can play back the SACD layer of a disc, period.


It is also true that even hybrid discs don't play properly in PCs. It's not a big surprise being that CD ROM is a standard that was kind of a piggy-back to CD, and SACD was never aimed at personal computers, so hybrid disc compatibility testing involed CD and DVD players at home and in the car. It sucks but for the time being, that's the reality of it.


I can only imagine all the confusion that will be created by Super Ultra Audio CD 2.



- Tony





http://www.epinions.com/user-sslabs

Post by Bearcat January 15, 2004 (9 of 18)
Ok folks. Most of what you have said is correct. Some SACDs will not play on some computer players. I have a Pioneer 104s DVD (slot loading) dvd-rom drive. Dark Side of the Moon plays just fine, while Sting's Sacred Love (some one else mentioned this one) does not play.

As an audiophile and a computer specialist I've followed this issue. THERE IS HOPE!

This year the computer industry is replaceing the venerable PC '97 format with somethign called Azaila. This will play both SACDa and DVD-audio, so the drives are soon to follow.

Read the info at:

www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1576

(it's slow to load)

I'm eagerly awating this!

Beracat

Post by raymod January 18, 2004 (10 of 18)
aeryx said:

Hey guys:
I've just purchased my first SACD: Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary. It's SACD Hybrid, but it seems that i can only play it as a regular CD (not as a multichannel SACD) on my PC-DVD ROM.
Did I fall on a commercial trap? Should I buy a brand new Sony SACD-enabled player?? Or downloading/buying some software or plugin i'll can play it on my PC?
Responses needed!!

Greetings.

For some reaxson, I can't even play it as CD-Audio on my PC-DVD ROM. It just isn't recognized. It also doesn't play on my Pioneer XR-A670 mini system, nor any of my friends. The only systems I've seen it play on are my parents 5.1 system at home, as CD-Audio...

This is really frustrating that I bought this CD, and can't use it on any eqiupment I own. Not only that - I can't return it because noone accepts CD returns anymore...

raymod

Page: 1 2 next

new post

primephonic